Before I share with you the ins and outs of using Flipgrid, I want to share some reasons why you would want to use Flipgrid!
- Voices that are often silent in class have an avenue to share their thoughts
- Reflection is powerful. Flipgrid allows you to set the maximum amount of time for a response ranging from 15 seconds to 5 minutes. For shorter reflections, students must reflect and synthesize the information to provide a succinct video reflection.
- Video reflections can be shared with the family through a private link allowing parents to see first-hand their students thinking through their learning.
- Flip the family connection and ask family members to share with your class. You can easily bring in experts from outside of your classroom walls to share about a topic of your choice.
- 100% engagement for your students. Everyone has a voice.
- Use it to engage students in dialogue on current events, book talks, a voice in classroom learning and more.
There are so many uses, but these are a few reasons why I think it is worth your time.
Let's get started. Go to flipgrid.com and sign up to create a free account.
Here is a comparison of the Free Account and the Classroom Account if you decide to change to a paid account at a later date.
After creating your account, you are ready to begin setting up your grid and topics. Watch this Flipgrid introduction video that has been enhanced using Edpuzzle to provide additional details. It walks you through account set-up, creating your grid, and adding topics!
For those who like step-by-step visuals, here are resources to support you!
You are now ready to add a topic. You can have multiple topics on your one free grid!
Make sure you scroll down before you create a topic to look at your other options!
Response settings include:
- Selfie Decorations: You can control if students can customize their selfie at the end of the video with stickers and/or drawings or turn off these options.
- Emoji Reactions: Do you want students to be able to leave emoji feedback or only like other videos?
- Response Moderation: Turn on if you want to approve students' videos before they are posted on your topic
You are now ready to go with Flipgrid! Want to see what it is like from a student's perspective? Respond to my Flipgrid and tell me how you could use Flipgrid to engage students! https://flipgrid.com/03cc54